Hello, I’m still here!
I’ve been busy these last couple of weeks spending all my spare time (which isn’t much!) getting some short stories and picture book stories up to scratch ready to enter them in writing competitions. I also came across the ASA Annual Membership Program so I’ve decided to give that a go too! It’s due tomorrow so just a few more things to look over before I send it on its way.
I receive the Queensland Writers Centre Newsletter via email and it’s always full of great writing programs, opportunities, writing competitions and giveaways.
Here’s a few that caught my eye and you might be interested in too:
* Year of the Edit Program commences 10 February 2013.
* Year of the Novel commences 17 February 2013.
* Commencing 21 January: Introduction to Creative Writing with Sophie Overett
A six week online course perfect for those just starting to write.
* Commencing 21 January: Kim Wilkins’ Year of the Novel Online with Nicole Murphy
* Commencing 28 January: Sally Collings’ Pitching to Publishers with Tiana Templeman.
* 13 March: Castaways Poetry Prize
Open to poetry of up to 24 lines. All entries must be inspired by or use the images in the Castaways Web gallery. Deadline 13 March. For more information, visit their website
* Seizure Magazine: Flashers
Ongoing opportunity for flash fiction writers to be published on the Seizure website. Short fiction between 50 – 500 words. For more information, visit their website
* The CYA Writing and Illustrating Competition is now open. Visit http://www.cyaconference.com for more information.
Opens: 2nd January 2013
Deadline: 30th April 2013.
Entry Fee: varied. See website for more information.
* If you live in or close to Brisbane here’s a terrific giveaway for Margaret Atwood fans-
Margaret Atwood: An Evening of Words and Music
Margaret Atwood narrates a short excerpt of a performance based on her novel, The Year of the Flood. This is followed by a discussion about her vast body of work.
Brisbane Writers Festival is giving away a double pass to this exciting event. To enter email your name and contact details to email@example.com. The winner will be drawn at random and notified on Tuesday 15 Feb.
7pm Monday 25 February, Queensland Conservatorium Theatre
Tickets $35, BWF Members & Concession $30, Queensland Conservatorium staff and students $20
I entered the Hoyts giveaway and was lucky enough to receive two free tickets to the advanced screening of The Impossible. They arrived in my mail box yesterday, so last night, a friend and I had a night out at the movies. I had not heard anything about The Impossible or seen any trailers. It blew me away. It’s an action thriller movie of one family’s love, courage, determination, hope and strength after one of nature’s catastrophic events. It was heartbreaking and inspiring and one of those movies that you can’t stop thinking about long after it’s finished. I just wanted to go home and give my family a great big hug. I won’t say anymore but DO remember your tissues!
Happy writing, editing, creating everyone!